Monday, December 7, 2009

The Worst Christmas Party Could Be The Best Christmas Gift

I'm furious all over.

Today, I just received the WORST ever gift for my Christmas party, and it's not even worth mentioning here because it will be inappropriate. To be honest, I felt like being sucker punched in the face during a social gathering.

During the party, I just laughed it all away, and even admitted in a joking manner that I would not accept these gifts, and instead intend to give them to those who are in need. But then, deep inside, I felt really bad, not because I got what I want, but because gift-giving was used as a means for insulting me.

And with these, a few thoughts on this Christmas ritual.

1.Gift-giving is not just giving gifts that could help one person remember YOU. It is important to note that gift-giving isn't all about the self. Rather, it is about the other. Perhaps the best gift would be that which helps the other remind, not remember, you in a special manner, be it in gifts that could be used in everyday life or could in certain situations.

2.Gift-giving is all about placing yourself in the foot of the other. It is thinking: if I were be the one given this gift, would I be fulfilled enough? Clearly, the person who picked me in this Christmas party sucked at this. It is in the moment of real and sincere gift-giving that one decenters from the self, which, again, my gift-giver was not really good at.

3.Gift-giving signifies the value of the presence of the other to the self. It reflects how the self regards and treats the other. In some way or another, it is a symbol of relationship and intimacy, and if this is not remembered, then gift-giving will lose its essence.

Personally, I cannot accept the gift, but then I would just channel my frustrations and convert them to something good and beneficial. I'm going to donate to a toy drive or just give that to someone else who needs it. I secretly thank my gift-giver for, in spite of making me feel bad, letting me do some good this Christmas season. After all, isn't Christmas about making others, instead of the self, happy? Didn't the Savior do this during the moment that He encountered humanity?

An advanced merry Christmas everyone.

… And I pray that that person will be able to realize what it means to be a person for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment