Friday, January 1, 2010

The Family Holidays

Christmas with the family is relatively spontaneous; however, my mom and I already have things in mind since October, considering everyone's schedule. Sometimes, things turned out as they were planned, and most of the time, they aren't.

But for this year, it's definitely one good planned Christmas: We're leaving for a trip.

Ever since October, my mom and I, together with my dad, already fished for abroad trips where the family might go: Kuala Lumpur, Macau, and other places. However, we found out that almost all of these were fully booked. Finally, we finally saw the 1-week Palawan trip complete with a house and an itinerary of all the places we will go. Oh yes, Christmas at its best for those who travel a lot like me and my mom.


Consider that an equalizer to all the past three years of celebrating Christmas along SLEX, on our road to Batangas after my Christmas Eve service. Since I served for the Cardinal during the holidays,we would stop over at Starbucks, buy some coffee and treats, eat while telling stories, and then go home, rest, and prepare for Christmas food as we wake up.

Now would be a different case. Possibly, we would eat a sumptuous meal and then prepare for our afternoon flight, and we will be back on the 1st of January 2010.

[From this part on, I write after arriving at Palawan and settling down at an inn.]

Setting all the grand Christmas plans aside, I would like to talk about the little things for Christmas, which appeared to be even more expensive than this one.


First off, we have the Valdez Brothers Christmas wish list. I didn't have anything specific to ask for this year, since I just need the moolah from my aguinaldo.However, Allan, my youngest brother, just asked for a pair of Nike SBs, and I promised to buy him in his birthday come February. Aaron, on the other hand, didn't ask for anything specific, but he did suggest that he expects something not just for Christmas, but also for his birthday.

For my parents, it has always been a different case. Though my mom just wanted us to give our efforts in our studies and work as a Christmas present for her, we gave her brand new pink Crocs for women. Even though she didn't quite like the color and the size is half-inch larger, she gladly accepted it (though my thrifty self could have subscribed to what mom wanted initially). For dad, we just bought him loads of stuff from Divisoria (well, sorry we had to refuse his request of branded goods. He already had too much of it).

And food? A lot would suffice. After the Manila Cathedral mass, we just feasted on three-layered choco mousse, pasta, ham, and chicken nuggets, while watching Van Wilder on Studio 23.

Nothing much here but spend the night with food and treats. Next day was more of preparation day for the family trip.

Up next, my Christmas sentiments and my Palawan trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment